Hedge trimmers are also known as bush trimmers or shrub trimmers are the tools that are used in cutting and filtering herbs and weeds of smaller size. it is a gardening tool. It is not used on large scale in lawns, and grounds of schools, colleges, and universities. It has to be used in small areas as it is time taking. Hedge trimmers are sharpened often if the quality of the trimmer is not that good. It has to be sharpened before every use in case you want the best results. The trimmers are efficient and easy to use if used wisely.
Invention Of Sharpener
French mathematician Bernard Lassimonne (Limoges) was the first person to invent sharpeners of any type. He made the first sharpener in 1828. Later from that time sharpeners of each and every kind were started to be made by people. The invention of the sharpener is related to the invention of the hedge trimmer. The sharpeners were made soon after the invention and development of hedge trimmers. They were required to sharpen the blunt ends of the trimmers. Without a sharpener, each and every sharpener will go to waste hence sharpeners were developed by the public.
Hedge Trimmers Types
There are 2 basic types of trimmers. that are motorized and the manual ones. Manual hedge trimmers are also known as hedge shears and hedge clippers are similar to scissors and pruning shears. They are easy to use and portable. They are cheap and easily available. The others are the motorized hedge trimmers that are way faster. They need less effort and but consume energy in the form of fuel or electricity. There trimmers that are powered by electricity. These are lightweight, more powerful, and faster all at the same time. They are not noisy and do not cause pollution. The ones that are operated on the gasoline are noisy and also cause pollution they can not be used in a residential area. They are heavier than the ones that consume electricity. And are difficult to start and operate.
Structure Of Sharpeners
The hedge trimmer sharpener comes in a variety and different kinds. Most of them are bulky machines that are not portable but are very efficient they are made according to the need and requirements of users. Most of them can sharpen a variety of hedge trimmers as they are supposed to sharpen the blade hence the basic principle of action is the same. They consist of a handle and a platform that stabilizes the machine on the shelf. They have fast-moving blades equipped in them that are changeable. With a power source, the rough surfaces move rapidly against the blade to be sharpened.
Procedure Of Sharpening Hedge Trimmers
- Step one is to clean the teeth of the hedge trimmer. Firstly, clean the dirt off the blades that get stuck during the use with a soft piece of cloth before you start sharpening the blades. The dirt might be plant sap or resin.
- Step two is sharpening the hedge trimmer blades by using a flat-file. The file should be always used towards the cutting edge since it is designed in such a way to be used only in one direction which ensures a perfectly sharpened blade. It is advised that the file should be used at the recommended sharpening angle the details of which are provided under the technical data in the operating instructions for your tool. The file will work efficiently and effectively only when moved in the forward direction and while moving it back, you should always lift it up from the surface.
The cutting edge will blunt again when sawing back and forth on the surface with the file and hence doing such a thing should be avoided. You should be careful that you do not scrape off a lot of material while sharpening. the abrasion limit is about 5mm. Doing more often will compromise the strength of the material and so the hedge trimmer will not be able to be used anymore. For the blades to be of the same length at the end, the same number of file strokes should be used for each cutting edge.
- Step three is removing burrs by using a whetstone from the trimmer. In this step to sharpen your hedge trimmer, you will need a whetstone. Use the whetstone to smoothen out any burrs that may have appeared on the underside of the blade while you were sharpening. This step basically corresponds to the polishing of the edges. While working on the back of the blades, turn the hedge trimmer over and also lightly moisten them. Smoothen the roughened surfaces in a careful swiping motion in the direction where the tip is.
- Step four is how to take care of the hedge trimmer after sharpening it. It is the last step in which we provide little aftercare to our freshly sharpened hedge trimmer. Firstly clean away the dust that might have appeared during the previous steps. During filing, the protective layers on blades usually are removed that is why you will need to spray on it the STIHL resin solvent. This is going to make sure that the machine functions best for a longer period of time that means this resin is going to increase the durability of the hedge trimmer.
Benefits Of Sharpening Of Hedge Trimmers
Followings are the benefits of sharpening hedge trimmers.
- Keeps the blade sharp
- Increases the efficiency
- Adds to the growth of plants
- Saves time
- Cost friendly
- Easy to use
- Saves money
- Can be used again and again
Benefits Of Hedge Trimmers
Followings are the benefits of hedge trimmers.
- Strengthen the plants
- Increase their rate of growth
- Used for ornamental purposes
- Prevent the growth of harmful parasitic plants
Following precautions are to be taken while sharpening the trimmers.
- Wear safety gloves
- Keep out of the reach of children
- Plug in the wires properly
- Keep the machine in stable environment
- Keep the machine below 35 degrees Celsius
Hedge trimmers of all kinds are very cost-friendly they do not need maintenance. Their stones and blades are long-lasting. They do not consume much energy and are saving money on new sharp trimmers. They save time and money on buying both the sharpeners and the trimmers as well.
What Tells You That Your Trimmer Needs Sharpening?
The hedge trimmer keeps getting jammed in between working with it. This will tell you that your trimmer needs sharpening immediately. Your hedge sharpener will not cut the branches cleanly.
Equipment Required to sharpen Hedge Trimmer
Following are the tools and types of equipment that will correctly sharpen your electric hedge trimmer.
- Flat file
- Soft cloth
- STIHL resin solvent
- Safety clothing
- Work gloves
- Safety glasses or face protection
Can It Be Done At Home?
Yes, sharpening hedge trimmers can be done at home as well as professionally. It is not that of a difficult task. You can easily do it at home. Still, if you want it to be done professionally, you can find STIHL dealers. If professionally done, there will be less chance of damage and as they are professionals, there will be less risk of damage and they will polish the trimmer edges nicely as well. These things might lack at home as they are experienced and have a lot of practice.